Teen Coaching is a branch of Life coaching. It is designed to encourage personal development in young people while providing an outlet for their stresses and anxieties.
Teenage could be an awkward age. Yes, it is a beautiful period, too; but sometimes, problems, feelings and expectations for the future are too heavy to be managed. Teen Coaching helps teenagers to be themselves, making choices to realise their dreams.
Sometimes young people can feel like they are stuck on a never ending rollercoaster. The expectations they have for themselves, as well as the pressures of fitting in, growing up and planning a future, can make it hard for them to cope.
Teen coaching can help young people develop life skills and learn how to manage some of the stresses that come along the way.
This can include:
- building confidence;
- setting and achieving goals;
- managing stress;
- discussing difficult issues.
I can also:
- help troubled teenagers get back on track;
- encourage a better work ethic;
- help young people deal with difficult or embarrassing issues;
- discover potential and set goals to reach it;
- help improve family dynamic.
Benefits for teenagers
During any transitional point in our lives, it can be easy to lose the sense of who we are, what we are worth and where we are heading.
The transition between childhood and adulthood is fuelled with hormone imbalances, mood swings, heartbreak and bewildering bodily changes. All of these make everyday problems all the scarier and taxing. For young people who are feeling overwhelmed and under a lot of pressure, a youth coach can give them the chance to recognise and voice their worries. With a youth coach, the teenager can discover what is most important to them, what they want to do and where they want to be.
There are many things a young person feels they need to know and achieve by the time they are leaving school. You may hear your child say, “Everyone expects me to…” or “I should do this…” rather than “I want to…”. This stage of life can be a balancing act, young people are learning who they are, as well as trying to make friends, family and teachers happy. Talking with a youth coach can help a young person say, “I want to do this” confidently, proudly and without guilt.
Young people who visit a teen coach can benefit in the following ways:
- They get the opportunity to talk about difficult subjects, such as bullying, relationships and sex.
- They are encouraged to see the world from a fresh perspective.
- They can begin to set goals for self-improvement.
- They learn to handle and manage emotions.
- They get the support of an objective and non-judgemental mentor.
- They learn to build confidence and social skills.
- They will leave with a new sense of motivation and boost of inspiration.
A youth coach will work with the young person to identify their needs and discuss their concerns. They will act as the support beside them while they jump the hurdles toward a stable future. While some will need a hand held throughout the journey, others may only need to be pointed in the right direction.
Benefits for parents
Teen coaching can also have a large number of benefits from the perspective of a parent. While you’ll always want to be there for your children, sometimes the best thing you can do is accept that in some situations, it simply can’t be done. The fact is that some teenagers believe certain parts of their lives need to be secret and cannot be shared with their parents.
We know this can be difficult to accept. Time goes quickly, and suddenly your small, innocent child is grown up and wants to discover the world. They want to explore their changing bodies, experimenting everything that life has to offer. You can’t control the things they may encounter, and you may know that part of your role as a parent is to stand back and let them learn on their own. What you can do as a parent is to ensure there are enough measures put in place to give them the best chance possible.
Booking your teenager into a series of youth coaching sessions could benefit you in the following ways:
- I can approach any subjects your child feels unable to talk about with you. Even though you may not be able to help them personally, you can rest easy knowing they have someone to talk to.
- I will help your child develop mature ways to deal with conflict, stress and anger, which could potentially make family life easier.
- I can help your child to better understand the emotions they are experiencing and how to manage them. When a child appears to lash out or react aggressively, they may be battling feelings of worry or fear. Teen coaching helps young people understand and control their confused emotions, encouraging an easier parent-child relationship.
Fell free to contact me by the following form or by telephone at +31 0613932162.